Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Wap-pisk-ki-kakiw-isqueo

that movie Harold and Maude gave me the creeps in the beginning where they go to the funeral of someone they've never met--- thank goodness I would never do a thing like that... unless... I happened to re-discover one of my favourite quotes:
“Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.” on the same day that laying right in front of me is a poster for the memorial service for a
woman with almost the same Cree name as me, ... and I start getting the feeling that I should go...but, luckily I forget all about it... until the next day when I am randomly pulling pieces of paper from my bag and out it comes, and I feel those little flutterings by my shoulder (I've always 100% found that real messages from spirit are offered, given to us; there is no sense of being forced or seduced or ordered to do something), but really I don't want to go hang out with a bunch of strangers who might look at me suspiciously (for good reason---they really haven't ever seen me before) and what if the people I sit beside are uncomfortable with me, and besides I am supposed to be writing today and I've been looking forward to it etc....So, I decide to go for a run and think about it (which pretty much guarantees I'll be too late to go, but I'm not admitting that to myself...) I get across the street, and there is a t.v. sitting by the sidewalk with piece of cardboard on top that says "free and it works". Well, someone in my household has been wishing for a t.v. for a while now, and I blew the last free offer of one. However, this is one big t.v. set, and I'm not even sure I can carry it across the busy street, but it just seems meant to be. Surprisingly. the traffic clears long enough for me to stop looking and make it across then my landlord leaps out of his car where he was leaving for work, and helps me in the gate and up the stairs. By the time I get inside, my knees are shaking, so no run, and I decide this gift is probably another suggestion for me to give-away to spirit, and if I don't think about it too much I can probably do this, although I admit I did curse myself a bit for being such an idiot, but you've probably guessed by now, I am very grateful that I went....I got to sit by two sweet-natured sisters who are lovely singers, one of them a teacher that I knew from Native Ed. and the service was a tribute to a woman that founded a very successful helping lodge for women, particularily those who suffered from violence in their lives. I was very happy I was able to go and honour her spirit and help her along her way (she was a having a little bit of a hard time letting go because so many people had been attached to having her brightness, lightness, and kindness around.) Not only did she help a lot of people but she travelled and had lots of fun....
And I learned the meaning of my name and kind of how to pronounce it in Cree!
And my heart opened a little bit more, and I got some good lessons, as she was passing over, from my sister in spirit--- All My Relations!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know where I got my hatred of paragraphs and love of ellipses from :)

-Ness

Anonymous said...

ellipses? que? ax