Wednesday, October 31, 2007

the politics of abused children

Why did I ever let the MInistry of Children and Families convince me that I should call their "special" helpline to report abuse of children? It turns out that their commitment is to investigate within 30 days and they're not even managing within 90 days. Next time I'm calling the cops. That way children who are being physically or sexually assaulted will have the same rights as everyone else---to have the crimes against them investigated right away! I am not responsible for proving that a crime is being committed; that's up to those trained in law investigation and enforcement. As a citizen I simply have to report when I have good reason to believe a crime is being committed; it's the same as when I hear someone screaming in the middle of the night (or possibly day.)
Why did I ever believe it was O.K. for any government department to be the the only ones investigating their own decisions?

2 comments:

sasha said...

It is a grim situation, and we, as a society, really need to shift our thinking about child abuse. Calling the cop though, unfortunately, is not likely to make things any better. This issue came up while I was in the Ed. Program and we were discussing the 'responsibility to report' with our child psychologist/prof who had dealt with the ministry many times. She said calling the cops doesn't get you any faster response because it there's a child involved, all they do is call the f**king ministry line.

So how about I take over the ministry of ed and you take over families and children? Something must be done.

Sho said...

AAAaaaarrrrggggGGGhhhhhhh!!!!

I am absolutely certain we, as a society, can do better than this, and I think that if you and I can see it this clearly, it will surely dawn on others too...